Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

August 31-A reflection on our journey across this wonderful country

Fred and I have now ended our month long journey from New York to California and we are both safely back home. We had a couple of bumps and bruises, lots of flooding and an amazing time together.

July 21
We started our journey by meeting in Lancaster, Pennsylvania
It was a dry run for us. 

The bike that took me on a 7,310 mile journey from NY to California and safely back
The scooter that Fred became very comfortable on after many fun miles and one little spill
The 5 star hotel on wheels that brought us safely to each destination and provided a comfortable place to eat, sleep and spend time together.

July 31
The glove that saved my face the first ride to Grand Island, NY and was lost in the time warp between the Salt Flats and Wendover, NV
Little did we know this is the day the "theme" of our trip started, floods!
August 1
Our first stop, Niagara Falls, the NY side, I forgot my passport
Thanks Deb for saving me!

August 2
Hockey Hall of Fame-Toronto, Cananda
What a mess finding a parking spot, but they have a great mozzarella bar and a flatiron building
August 3
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-Cleveland, Ohio
It was a tough ride in the rain.
Look out for the alien fingers!!!
August 4
Cedar Point-Sandusky,Ohio
Where I learned great lakes have big waves!
August 5
Waldenwoods-Hartland, Michigan
We visited with Al and Karen
August 6
Went to the ford museum, had a great meal with "hard cider" Mmmmm 
and I got lost in the woods LOL
August 7
Drove to North Chicago Campground, got stuck in horrific traffic AND a storm, I had puddles in the elbows of my jacket and my phone is ruined
August 8 
Northwest Chicago Campground
I bought a new phone, Fred got a phone charger for the car, WE encountered ANOTHER wet ride and came back to ANOTHER flood
(the theme of our trip LOL)
And where we couldn't do laundry due to flooding


August 9
We went to the city of Chicago, Illinois
We ate Garrett's popcorn, went to the Navy Pier, hopped on and off the tour bus, ate at Lou Malnati's, took pictures in the "bean" and saw the Blue Man Group
August 10
Drove through Wisconsin to Minnesota but not before completing my first oil change and forgetting to check for the crusher washer.
As Fred said "You'll never do that again" :-)

August 11
Fred passed out at the rest area on our way to the Corn Palace
Corn Palace-Mitchell, South Dakota
Built to celebrate the corn industry and attract tourists. It worked!
Good thing we didn't ride, we got stuck in what they consider a storm, what we consider a hurricane!
ANOTHER wet day and ANOTHER flood
Those crazy "bike tippers"

August 12
On the drive from Mitchell to Wall Drugs we got pelted by Kamakazie grasshoppers
I bought the BEST goodies here. 
 I fell in love with Buffaloberry jelly, Fred fell in love with Huckelberry coffee, I'm addicted to caramel popcorn since Chicago and I bought a popcorn cobb that we'll enjoy on our last night together.
We arrive at the Mt. Rushmore campground and I made some delicious food, including chocolate covered bananas. We eat only the best foods in this camper!
August 13
Crazy Horse Memorial
Oooopppsie!!!!
The scooter couldn't make it to the restroom
August 14-Happy Birthday Ang!
Fred's had his first mishap 
We finish the day at Mt. Rushmore with a little yoga
And consume massive amounts of buffalo!
Fred is in a LOT of pain, will we continue or turn around?
August 15
Fred's not giving up that easy!
We are off to the Salt Flats in Utah BUT not before I get poisoned in Wyoming by the burning of noxious weeds
It was worth it to be able to eat in Lusk at the best pizza place in Wyoming
And to visit the stagecoach museum
Lusk, Wyoming is a great little town

Cheyenne, Wyoming
I discovered I HATE Wyoming
The wind is brutal! And don't forget those noxious weeds!
I had to tie my bike up AGAIN last night to ensure it didn't tip 
August 16
Drive from Cheyenne, Wyoming, into Utah where it was SO hot I thought I was going to die to Salt Lake City 
August 17
Leave SLT, I practiced yoga for the first time at 6am, completed 2nd oil change behind O'Malley's , drove to the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah where they were doing time trials for speed week
To the "time warp" Wendover, NV
Where they may not follow the right time zone, I lost my favorite glove and we left behind our piece of wood, but look at the sunset!
August 18
Leave Wendover, NV drove to Boomtown, NV just West of Reno.
This was the first day we separated on the trip
This is Fred's worst driving day of the trip, his phone stopped working, he took the scenic route to the campground where he encountered a sign that said "Do Not Enter, We Have Guns" This was his least favorite campground but had the coolest water hookup

August 19
Lake Tahoe-Nevada/California
Had a bit of trouble parking the camper, but we ate the BEST fish taco's at El Sancho Taqueria and the views were more spectacular as we rode around and saw the entire lake from every vantage point that existed. 
Oh yeah, and I almost ran out of gas!

August 20
To North San Francisco where I knew there was something different about their trees.
I just didn't know how different they would be! Redwoods....
August 21
Guided tour through San Francisco
August 21
Golden Gate Bridge
De Young Museum, Japanese Tea Room, Victorian Houses, no swimming due to drownings, cable cars, Fisherman's Wharf, sourdough bread at Boudin's, the couple from Holland who couldn't get over our portion size in America, Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Company, roads so steep they have to build steps instead of sidewalks and Ghirardelli chocolates!
August 22 - Armstrong State Park
We discuss our cremation, Fred buys new inserts and we viewed the Redwood trees. They are beautiful, tough, tremendous trees
August 23
We stop at the Jelly Belly Factory on our way "East"
350 miles today
August 24-Happy Birthday Tim
We stayed in a trucker campground in Nevada
Fred made breakfast for the first time on the trip
I completed my 3rd oil change without getting dirty

The road was flat!
Drove through Utah where you will go crazy. Neither one of us needs help in that department.
Neither one of us particularly likes Utah. We ended in Rock Springs, Wyoming
430 miles today
August 25
Left Rock Springs, Wyoming ended in Gothenburg, Nebraska at a nice campground which had a river running around it explaining the abundance of wildlife including this lovely frog who was camera shy
514 miles today
August 26
Leave Gothenburg, Nebraska ended in Newton, Iowa
There is corn everywhere!!!
411 miles today
August 27
Leave Newton, Iowa, complete my 4th oil change, communication speaker blew out, ended in Granger, Indiana
375 miles today

August 28
I was in A LOT of pain today
Didn't take any pictures, the scenery is the same, corn, corn, corn
Left Granger, Indiana ended in Mercer, Pennsylvania
357 miles today
August 29
Fred's journey comes to an end
There is no electric, but it comes back on in time for Jon and Stephen
325 miles today
This completes 2,800 miles in 6 days. 
WOW! No wonder we don't want to drive another mile, anywhere!
August 30
Our last day together,  I packed what I was bringing home, we took a leisurely walk (you can't go to grandma's without taking a walk) saw deer, listened to the streams running and felt the bugs buzzing around our heads before we head off for a spectacular dinner. Thanks mom! We played a few games of cribbage and ate popcorn off the cobb from  one of my favorite places, Wall Drugs.
Then I left for the last 166 miles to end my journey at 2am in NY

This trip was absolutely amazing! We saw SO much of this beautiful country YET missed SO much! I wouldn't have wanted to do this trip with anyone else. We have many of the same tastes in food and interests, which made the trip that much more enjoyable! In the end Fred lost 25 pounds and I lost 8 pounds.  We are already talking about taking the southern route next summer. 
Anyone want to join us?
                    July 21                                                        Aug 15
                    July 21                                                       Aug 29

I have to warn you if you decide you want to join us on our next journey: You have to be crazy!!!!!! And after reading this blog, I'm sure you meet the requirements, if not for a long journey, then for a hunting license for Jackalope! Don't forget June 31 from midnight to 2am! 

2 comments:

  1. Lydia..very entertaining. Would you do it again, or maybe move a little slower and see more? We will be in Nathrop Colorado next summer, hope you'll find your way there to visit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lydia, my email is karen41262@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete