Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Aug 19th-Lake Tahoe

We woke up and got on the road early! Something that has yet to happen, will this be a new trend? I rode my bike and Fred drove the camper to Lake Tahoe. It's about a 35-45 minute ride.
Lake Tahoe is located between Nevada and California
We decided to take the California route to the Lake

We were driving on CA89, which is route 89 in California, when all of a sudden, I see something come off Fred's camper, it's rolling....it's his hubcap!!!! OH MY!! It hit the wall, rolled up like a fly ball and all I'm thinking in this split second is "OH SH*T" it's going to land on ME, I realize immediately I'm safe and my next thought is "OH NO" it's going to land on someone's car. As I look in my mirror I see there are not a lot of vehicles on the road like NY and it's not going to cause any damage. So I started to giggle...thinking "WOW! That could've been really bad. I'm glad it's not" and then I called Fred to let him know.  He said in his nonchalant usual way "Oh that's ok, I want to get a new set anyway" We both agreed it was one less thing he'd have to take off to put the new set on. We giggled and returned our attention to the beautiful scenery that surrounded us!
Look at those trees living on the sides of the mountains and the curvy roads ahead of us

Look at the number of cars on that train. We wonder what it's transporting


When we got to Lake Tahoe we encountered a bit of a problem finding a semi-level parking spot to leave the camper, but after about an hour of driving in circles, we found a spot, took off the scooter and headed to El Sancho's for fish tacos for lunch.

 We had to stop and take some pictures before lunch
 WOW! Look at the water and the mountains!
Can you see the snow on the tops of the mountains?

 El Sancho Taqueria

We ended up ordering fish taco's and a steak salad to share. Susanna was absolutely right! The food was delicious! And their salsa was amazing! I kept going back for more!

 The most delicious fish taco's!

Now that my "hangry" pains we gone, off we went to ride around the lake. 

It's 22miles X 12miles and we drove around the whole thing! 

Every time we saw the lake from a different view it was more spectacular than the last.

Kayaking, Canoeing, Boating, Skiing! 
So much to do, not enough time. We have to come back here

I can't get over how clear the water is!
 
 We said "WOW" about a million times today! Of course it did not go without incident. At one point we were literally 180 degrees around the lake now riding through the mountains, which was my favorite scenery, my bike started to sputter.....yep...I was running out of gas. I switched to reserve which gives me, I have no idea how many miles to get gas!!!! I'm serious. LOL! I do not know how many miles I can go, but I figure it's about 15-20. AND the last time we put gas in the scooter was at Mt Rushmore where Fred rode at least 70 miles and again we don't know how many miles he can put on the scooter before it runs out of gas and the gas gauge doesn't work. AND since South Dakota, where they add ethanol to the gas, we had been getting extremely BAD gas mileage. Yes, we had all things working against us. Well, as I was saying before, we were in the mountain region. There were no gas stations around. I wanted to stop and take pictures a this one particular spot but I was worried that if I turned the bike off it wouldn't have enough gas to start back up, so we "rubbernecked" our way through this awesome scenery and when I finally saw a gas station I almost jumped for joy!!!! Let me explain how low on gas I was. My tank holds 3.6 gallons when absolutely full. The last time I filled up, the bike on the kickstand, not on the center stand so I know for sure there wasn't 3.6 gallons to start with. I put in 3.1 gallons. I was running on fumes!!!!!
We gassed up and continued on the path around the lake and more and more and more beautiful scenery.
 

 Marinelli's Apple Juice. Started in 1868 after the civil war. 
It was just what we needed to quench our thirst.

The water is crystal clear. It looks like the Mediterranean.
Are we in Nevada or Greece?

 WOW!
I couldn't get over how HOT is was when we stopped to take pictures and then how CHILLY it was when we got back on the bikes. The air temperature was about 70 but standing in the sun felt like at least 90!
Another spectacular view
See those mountains up there? 
We are about to ride through them, there is a tunnel that you can see.

 WOW!

The views were amazing!


 We got back to the camper, had some food and relaxed for a bit. Fred headed back to the campground on the main road and I took this awesome road called 431 also known as Mt Rose Hwy

 It had a ton of twists and turns, perfect for a motorcycle ride and guess where it landed me? Right back to the Reno, NV yoga studio just in time for another class :-) I was told Eric would be teaching a "music class" I've taken silent classes before but never one with music. Let's just say it was interesting. I did enjoy being able to practice for the 3rd time on this trip. After not practicing for almost 3 weeks, my legs are killing me. I have forgotten how it feels to be a new student, this has been a reminder for sure! LOL.

I called Fred after class to let him know that I'd be arriving in about 30 minutes and I woke him up! He had already fallen asleep after a spectacular day at Lake Tahoe and his first experience at Cabella's! If you've ever been to Cabella's you'll know how overwhelming the store is. Debbie and I took a trip to Cabella's in Ct one time and spent 5 hours there! He bought "The Ultimate Jalapeno Rack" (we are all expecting some soon) and "The Original Flyshooter" It's  in the shape of a gun that as it claims "Kills flies and other bugs accurately" We've been having a fly problem. I'm impressed with Fred's flyswatting ability. He should go into competition!!! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment