Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Aug 26-Leave Gunthenburg, NE drive 411 miles to Newton, Iowa

Today started out mighty fine. Fred and I slept well. That's always a good thing!
When I came back from taking a much needed shower, Fred had made breakfast! I could definitely get used to that. I've been spoiling him on this trip by making most of our delicious meals

Then we looked at the weather map and it looked grim, for me. It appeared as if we were going to be driving right through a pretty bad storm in Omaha, NE. I dressed in my rain gear and we started off for our destination of the day...Iowa.

Iowa is like South Dakota but without the nasty wind
There are corn fields everywhere!

I would look out at the scenery and think "Wow, those are nicely manicured lawns" then as I looked more closely, it is rows and rows and rows of corn

There are over 1000 farms in Iowa

Look at all that corn
A memorial

That is ALL corn

The top of a bridge we went over at one of our many gas stops

Look at how nice the rows of corn are

They just don't stop!

You know what happens when you see windmill farms?
WIND!!! It's not as bad as Wyoming and we have somehow skirted all the storms on the weather map, so I'm VERY happy with a little bit of wind :-)


What are they going to do with it all?
Here's your answer...they put it in the gas
We have found out that this gives us VERY BAD gas mileage


My motorcycle gear is getting a good workout!
These were my rain pants. As you can see they ripped on both legs!
I'll have to replace these ASAP since I'm heading EAST and there are many many storms lurking



My boot is ripping

My helmet is falling apart
Remember the new gloves I was all excited about replacing from the "Time Warp" in Wendover, 
well...the rubber from the forefinger has already fallen off
My rear tire is showing major signs of wear. 
This is what an awesome trip will do to your gear 
It's totally worth it!

Don't even get me started on the camper. I may need to buy new gear, YUCK, I have to start shopping, BUT Fred has a lot of work to do on the camper. The stairs no longer come out, the fire alarm won't stay up, water pump is not working, install a door for the hose (my request), put hooks up everywhere (another request by me), new hubcaps (remember he's leaving them all over the country)

I'm sure our lists will continue, hopefully nothing that needs immediate attention before we get back.

TO ALL OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY GETTING READY FOR HURRICANE IRENE
Be safe and stock up on water! Toilets need to be flushed. LOL
It's hitting North Carolina as we type this up tonight and will be heading up the coast towards NY. We hope for everyone's sake it's not going to be as bad as the "always correct" weather people are predicting.


No comments:

Post a Comment