Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 5th and 6th ~ Waldenwoods Campground Hartland, Michigan and the Ford Museum Dearborn, MI

It's Friday, August 5th. We are off to visit Al and Karen at a private campground called Waldenwoods located in Hartland, Michigan. We drove 241 miles to arrive at out next destination.

We had a nice chicken dinner at the pavilion with Al and Karen on their dinner break. After a nice walk around the lake, we caught up with Al at the store Karen works at.  By the time Karen got off work, we were exhausted and ready for our next adventure to the Ford museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI.

Sat Aug 6h
The village AND museum were another great hotspot! We saw the glassblowers, learned about how the old printing press worked, this is also where we learned about the duties of teachers in the 1800's. We saw the tinsmith and the blacksmith. At the museum, there was so much to take in! Where do we start? Trains, planes and automobiles. LMAO. As a matter of fact our trip is very similar to that movie. Many funny things are happening along the way. Hopefully you have had a few deep belly laughs reading about our adventure across the country.
We definitely recommend going to the Ford museum if you are in the area!
 A few houses in the Greenfield Village
 Fred really likes this house. Has lots of stones!! Stone sides, stone roof, stones galore!
That beautiful girl in standing in front is pretty cool herself :-)
 Fred's FAVORITE flowers-Black Eyed Susan's. They were all over the place!
 Lydia's FAVORITE. Pulleys and machines and lots of moving parts!
Finishing lunch at the Eagle Tavern. We started with corn, lemon poppyseed and blueberry muffins. They were SOOOO good! We shared Dandelion soup. Fred got the Ham and egg pie and a glass of hard cider. The cider was excellent! I got the beefcakes with onion gravy with corn on the cob. Everything was delicious. We practically licked our plates clean!

After getting back from the museum, Fred went to dinner with Al and I decided to take a leisurely walk around the lake. I left at 8:30pm and thankfully it didn't get dark until after 9:30 because somehow I didn't make it around the 3 mile trail before the sun went down. I tried to call Fred and let him know I'm somewhere in the woods around the lake, but as you all can guess, his phone was turned off. I found a clearing which led into someone's backyard. I figured, GREAT, and the TV is on, someone must be home to point me in the right direction. I knocked on the door, nobody came. I looked in the window and saw someone in such a deep sleep on the couch, their mouth was open with drool seeping into the pillow. So I decided to walk to the road and I saw a development. I thought "oh great! I'll ask at the guard booth" You don't think it's that easy, there was no booth and a big gate. So I flagged down the next car that came by. It turned out the be a mother and daughter on their way home from the supermarket. They told me where I was and said it was a long walk back to the campground. They insisted on bringing me after they dropped off the ice cream they just bought. The mom and dad came back to get me and what do you know, the mom had grown up in the house who's backyard I walked through. On the way back, they asked "isn't anyone worried about where you are" LOL. I arrived back at the campground to find Fred and Al chatting wondering where I was. Never a dull moment on this trip. LOL :-) It was totally worth it! It felt so good to finally get some exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment