Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Aug 25- Leave Wyoming and drive 514 miles to Gothenburg, Nebraska

Remember how much I HATED Wyoming last week? I went to bed last night and woke up this morning thinking Wyoming is not that bad. The temperature was nice and the wind was normal. This place isn't so bad after all.
Our plan is to drive 514 miles to get to Nebraska AND cross over ANOTHER time zone.


That sign says Brides may be icy

When you see these fences, you know this is a place of HIGH wind and LOTS of snow
HERE COMES THE WINDY RIDE

The amount of land without construction is so nice to see



At about 400 miles into the trip we stopped at the Buford Trading Post
Burford has been put on the map as the nations smallest town 
Welcome to Buford, Wyoming, Population 1!    This tiny town has two big claims to fame.  First,with a population of only 1 person, Buford is the nation’s smallest town.  Sitting at 8,000 feet, Buford is also the highest town in elevation on Interstate 80, the main cross-country route between New York and San Francisco. 

This is the only person who lives in Buford, Don
He moved here 30 years ago with his wife, she passed away 20 years ago
The population was 2, Don and his son until his son said "Dad, I'm moving, There's not enough women  here." To which Don replied "Son, there are NO women here, I've looked"

Not too long prior to this stop, I decided I still HATE Wyoming. 
The wind is wickedly wild here!
I spoke with a local at the Buford trading post who said the wind wasn't even bad today. He told me I should come back when you have to lean your bike so much that the side scrapes on the road!
This is the second time I've heard this about Wyoming. 
NO THANKS! LET'S GET OUT OF HERE
Maybe, just maybe Nebraska will not be as bad.

FINALLY out of Windy Wyoming and into Nebraska!

Not too much to see but land

Oh look, something does grow here. 

Corn fields. 
Look at how nice the rows of corn look



We made it to a gas station in North Platte, Nebraska. When I was getting gas
I knew I was a long way from home when I saw Alpaca's being trailered 
This picture says it all

We finally arrive at our destination for the night, in the night, Gothenburg, Nebraska
After checking in at the office, I came out to my bike to find a hitch hiker.
This campground is really nice. There is a lot of wild life around
Not only hitch hikers, but tons of frogs everywhere! This one was a little camera shy.
On my way to the bathroom, I have to walk through a line of frogs jumping everywhere. It's really cool. 
BUT, why is the women's bathroom always around back. It's very woodsy here and it freaks me out as I turn the corner and go into the deserted bathroom. 

I made it back safe and it's time for bed. We have another long ride ahead of tomorrow. 
We are planning 411 miles to our next destination in Iowa. 

This is the reason for all the wildlife. There is what Fred and I think is a very nice river that flows on the outskirts of the campground

The owner doesn't like it too much. It has caused 7 floods in the past 10 years. They actually just recently reopened for business due to the last flood. He said he's dug trenches but it seems to still find another way in. The campground is just too nice, even the water wants to stay there. LOL








No comments:

Post a Comment