Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Aug 27-Leave Iowa drove 375 miles to Granger, Indiana

Today we left Iowa with lots and lots and lots of corn fields! There was even a corn field as we drove into the campground. It seemed like everybody's front lawn is a corn field, no grass, corn.
Fred cooked breakfast again!
We are now on our way to Granger, Indiana. It's a 375 mile ride, a walk in the park for us!
As we rode our first 125 miles, I was talking to Tim and the left speaker of my NEW communication system blew out. We are really wearing things out on this trip. Fred's camper and all my gear!

At the first stop I switched my communication device with Fred's. He's not going to need it until we get back to PA when he hops back on the scooter to ride into town


At this stop I also successfully completed my 4th oil change. 
Fred had to help me with the oil filter again. When it's hot, it's VERY tight!
I attracted a trucker from Boone, NC who had a very thick mountain accent. It's a good thing I've spent a lot of time with Alyssa, I was able to translate enough to have a conversation with him

We drove and rode and drove and rode until we hit over an hour and a half of traffic getting around Chicago, Illinois AGAIN! The last time we were near Chicago we hit traffic and I got caught in that nasty rain storm where I ended up with puddles in my jacket elbows and soaked my phone, which still isn't working. I've had it sitting in rice for the past few weeks and that trick didn't bring it back to life.

 After the traffic, we drove and rode and drove and rode and lost another hour, as we are back into the eastern time zone, and the condition of the roads are terrible!!! I'm not talking about construction, it's the lack of construction in Indiana! OMG!!! It feels like they dropped speed bumps in the road. I'll hit one and get bounced in my seat then another just as I adjust and then ANOTHER bump comes and throws me around. It's horrendous!!!! Not to mention the wind here is bad as well. BUT as bad as the roads and the wind are, it's NOT raining. So I'm looking at the bright side. It's sunny, warm, I'm not at work and I'm having an awesome trip!!!! 

We drove a little further until we finally reached Granger, Indiana. We can't seem to get to the campgrounds during the day anymore.

I couldn't wait to get my gear off, lay down and get some rest!
Fred felt the same way!



No comments:

Post a Comment